Iyengar Yoga classes in Avalon and Mona Vale.
Yoga Beginners are welcome at all classes.
Iyengar Yoga is meant for all and is also a way of life. Especially relevant is the use of yoga props, designed by BKS Iyengar as a means to aid correct posture. Wooden blocks, belts, ropes help the practitioner to achieve perfection in any asana. Regular practice of ‘Iyengar Yoga’ uses the body, mind and emotions.
The term “Iyengar Yoga” was eventually coined by Mr. Iyengar’s pupils to distinguish his teaching from that of others. In the Iyengar tradition emphasis is placed on precision and alignment in all asanas, whether they are standing, sitting, twisting, inverted, forward bending, backward bending or supine postures. This attention to detail enables the muscles, organs and the breath to function optimally and the mind to focus.
Unlike stretching and other forms of exercise, Iyengar yoga is not purely physical. It also works physiologically and psychologically. As a result he practice of Iyengar Yoga teaches concentration. It develops one’s discriminating faculty enabling the differentiation of the essential from the incidental. As a result the benefits are not only from the physical poise but also mental peace, intellectual clarity and emotional equanimity. Through the practice of yoga, a dancer can become a better dancer, a scientist, a better scientist, a manager, a better manger, a musician, a better musician. The master violinist Yehudi Menuhin, who was instrumental in bringing BKS Iyengar to the west, acknowledged his guru not as his best yoga but his best violin teacher!
Iyengar Yoga Props.
In the Iyengar system, classical yoga asanas (postures) are aided, when necessary by the use various props. Belts, bricks, benches, chairs (and others) have made yoga accessible to everyone regardless of age, flexibility or infirmity. Mr. Iyengar explains, “The yoga asana practised with props is unique in that it is the only form of exercise which allows both action and relaxation simultaneously. It activates the muscles, tones the body’s organs and relieves undue mental and physical stress and strain. Props help to increase flexibility and stamina and, at the same time, relax sick and tired muscles. They help to rejuvenate the entire body, without increasing physical fatigue.”
BKS Iyengar has also relentlessly researched and experimented with a large range of medical problems and worked closely with cardiologists, immunologists and orthopaedists in the evolution of his therapeutic application of yoga.
Iyengar Yoga key features
- Emphasis on precision and alignment in the postures results in correct positioning of the skeletal and organic body and the proper functioning of the breath. It improves understanding and concentration.
- Offers a balance of dynamic and strengthening postures, passive and restorative, breathing and relaxation.
- Postures are sometimes held for longer periods to improve awareness and increase stamina.
- The use of props enables stiff, injured, or infirm students to do postures, which would otherwise be difficult or impossible
- Many individual physical problems and injuries are catered for within the class. Therefore everyone may not necessarily do the same postures.
- Teachers not only demonstrate, but also correct the students verbally and sometimes physically.
Yoga Northern Beaches
Avalon Surf Club
Tuesdays 10.00 – 11.00am
Wednesdays 9.30 – 11.00am
Thursdays 9.45 – 11.00am
Online Zoom Yoga
Mondays 10.00 – 11.00am
Thursdays 09.45 – 11.00am
Saturdays 10.00 – 11.00am